dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

Im going through a divorce after seventeen years of marriage.

I'm going through a divorce after seventeen years of marriage. Am I entitled to my husband's benefits? I will be 65 in a few months

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

YES you are entitled to your spousal benefit from your second marriage but not from your first marriage as you remarried before age 60. Likewise, you are entitled to one half of what your second husband will receive. However, retirement age is now 66. So if you apply at age 65, your benefit will be reduced by about 9%. Finally, you can apply for benefits as early as 90 days before you turn 65 or 66 if you decide to wait.

Please rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.