Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

How long does a couple have to have been married before the

How long does a couple have to have been married before the non-working spouse would be eligible to file for a spouse social security benefit (assuming that the working spouse is FRA)?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You can start drawing the spousal benefit immediately, but if your spouse passes away you need to have been married for at least 9 months.

Customer:

Fine today, thanks! To clarify - I'm not asking about a survivor benefit, just wish to know with certainty how long a non-working spouse would have needed to be married to a spouse who has a benefit (based upon his own work history) in order to file for the restricted benefit (at the non-working spouse's age 62). The only info I have found so far is 'continuously for 12 months, with some exceptions'.

Megan C :

Yes, typically you would need to be married continuously for a year

Customer:

Do you want to reconcile or clarify anything between the initial "you can start drawing the spousal benefit immediately" answer and the "continuously for a year" follow-up? I'm hoping for something as definitive/accurate as possible....

Megan C :

Yes, I re-read my manual and it was continuously for 12 months. I was reading about an exception, and it related to when your spouse passes

Customer:

Okay, thanks.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that you need assistance with today?

Megan C :

Would you say that I have provided you with excellent service today?

Customer:

That's it for now. I'd say OK service.

Megan C :

Okay, if you would, please rate me so that I may receive credit for assisting you today