Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I turn 65 on 8/23/49 and intend to delay my SS retirement claim

I turn 65 on 8/23/49 and intend to delay my SS retirement claim till age 70. My question pertains to spousal benefit upon my death. I have two prior marriages. The first from '72 ending in '80 the second from '84 ending in '08. Do either of my prior spouses have claim to a spousal benefit? If I were to remarry what spousal benefit will be available to my present wife?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Only your second ex wife is entitled to a benefit off your record, because your marriage lasted over 10 years. If she remarries, then she is no longer eligible for a benefit from you.

Megan C :

If you remarry, your current spouse is in no way impacted by any ex wife who may be drawing a benefit off your record.

Megan C :

So, your current wife would get 50% of your benefit

Customer: Can my second wife of 20+ years release her interest in the spousal benefit from my account as she was and always has been very successfully employed over the term of her business life and as an aside do I or will I have access to her SS in the event of her death
Megan C :

If your ex wife has a greater benefit off her own record, she cannot draw off of yours. Also, you could draw against her benefit if she passes - but only if that benefit is greater than your own benefit. You can only draw one benefit - you can't draw your benefit plus her benefit.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer: Thank You.
Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today