Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I turned 66 this summer and have been collecting ss benefits

I turned 66 this summer and have been collecting ss benefits since 62. Since I continued working as a consultant I suspending my benefits over the last few years depending on my income.
My husband is 76 and collecting since disability benefits since 59.
My question is can I stop collecting my ss and claim his benefits till i reach 70?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

When you draw your benefit early, that benefit is permanently reduced. As such, you could not stop drawing your benefit, begin drawing a spousal benefit, and receive delayed retirement credits.

Megan C :

Your benefit only increases by COLA and by the time you suspended your benefit.

Customer:

I thought that they had strategies for married couples- such as claim and switch or file and suspend ? would i fall under that category

Megan C :

That works if you do not draw your benefit early. The problem is that you drew your benefit when you turned 62

Customer:

okay thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today

Megan C :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Since I still do consulting and this year- January to January I will make approx $30,000. How will that impact the 15,000 max. I thought that the year of my 66 birthday I can make as much money as a want without ss consquences?

Megan C :

In the year you retire, you can earn $40,080 per year for the months prior to your birthday,

Megan C :

Then, once you reach full retirement age you can earn an unlimited amount.

Customer:

yes but when you collect ss at 62 that max is 15,000 before you have to pay on money above that amount. So now that I am 66 this year- can I make more than 40,000

Megan C :

You can make $40,000 from January until your birthday, and then once you reach your birthday you can earn an unlimited amount.

Customer:

thank you.