LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I applied for social security servivers benifets on my exhusband

Customer Question

I applied for social security servivers benifets on my exhusband record he passed away june 15 2013 . i got all the doc's certified for the field office the lady that filed said it was all good I was married from oct 89 to dec 2000. .i am also single and will be 60 soon . please tell me would she really know that i was good or not . will i be approved like she said
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Aida,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under the law, so long as:
1. Your marriage lasted 10 years or more between date of marriage and date of decree of divorce, (and yours did last the minimum time required) and,
2. So long as you did not remarry before age 60, or if you did you---that second marriage ended before your ex-husband died, and
3. So long as you are at least 60 years old now,
Then you qualify for social security survivor’s benefits based on your deceased husband.

So, as you are single now, and will soon be 60, as soon as you turn 60, you will be eligible to begin receiving your survivor benefits.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

so I am not married after my ex husband now i applied on oct 1 becuse social security said i can I will be 60 in Jan my entitelment date . i took all my certified copies and went down there to apply . the lady said they were all good and i was approve does she approve me or someone else does . and you said i was married over 10 years right. was married from oct 89 to dec 2000 . so does that qulifye me. so you are saying under the law i would be approved right

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will rate you the best please tell me facts . i did file the lady said i got all the certified court papers right i also provided the marraige from the state certified my us passport and age proof. she also asked me for my bank stetment . you mean she would know if did qulify or not?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Hi Aida,

Under the law you will be approved. No, the person you spoke with at the counter does not officially approve you---that is done by someone else in Social Security. However, you meet all the requirements for eligibility, you will get your approval and you may collect your benefits starting as soon as you turn age 60, in January.

Yes, under the law, you qualify and will be approved before the date your benefits begin.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
Yes, she would absolutely know, from looking at your paperwork, that you were qualified for the survivor benefits.

Doug
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

And where does that latter approval come from . when. and if was going to be denied she would have told me that i was not elgible she would have told me. right . so when it goes to process that means they take the field case worker recommendetion and approve them?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

and one more question do these claims easy to win or did you see any one qylify and then they deny them call me scared but i have been through so much my ex died he was paying me alimony which i depended on died in an accident and left me and his current wife with questions and nothing else left his insurance policy for his kids my ex was somthing else which i happen to have his last son but does not live with me and he lives out of state

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
Hi Aida,

If you were not going to qualify she would have told you that and sent you away. The approval is a formality only.

The formal approval letter will come about 60 days before you benefit is set to begin.

Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
This is not a matter of winning. You already won! You met the 3 requirements---and that is all there is. I promise---you can relax and your benefit will start in the month after you turn 60 if you asked to begin the benefit as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

have you ever seen one serviver that was denied i see that stuff on tv if you denid call social security lawyer . i want to thank you so much a nd god bless you for helping me i will rate you exellent you just do not know the pain i have been through the day i met my ex till the day he died

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I will be 60 jan 7 2014 does that letter comes from field office or the main office

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.
The letter will come from a main office, not the field office.
LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Survivor benefits are cut and dry---black and white. If you qualify on those 3 items you get the benefit. The commercials you see on TV are for social security disability---not survivor's benefits.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated. Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you so much i rated you the best because that is what you are . you helped someone who has been through so much with my ex he left me for someone else hurt me evry year i knew him more and more raised 2 kids with him from a first marriage . and after 1 kid with him. he still left me for someone and now he left her the same way he left us but worse he is not here any more