Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I took ss benefits at 62 but have worked since then and increased

I took ss benefits at 62 but have worked since then and increased my benefits base. Should my ex spouse of more than 10 years of marriage have her base amount also adjusted? If I predecease her, does she get my full benefits?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Your ex wife's benefit will increase, based on any increase in your benefits.

Megan C :

Provided you were married longer than 10 years and she's unmarried, she can draw your full benefit if you pass away before her.

Customer:

I was told by the ss office that her benefits would not be adjusted because of my new base--she only gets the cost of living adjustments.

Megan C :

her benefit is based on your benefit. If your benefit increases, hers will too

Customer:

Thus, she should get half of my benefit???

Megan C :

If she's at least full retirement age

Megan C :

If she's under full retirement age, her benefit could be as low as 30%

Customer:

She took her benefits at 62, also! Does her base still get adjusted to match my new base.?

Megan C :

If your base increases, her benefit will also increase because it's based on your benefit

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I appeal if they argue it is not?

Thank you so much for your follow up. To appeal the decision, you would go to your office and request an appeal. They will give you a form to fill out and then they will process that and have someone else look over it. Here's a LINK.

Thanks!

Megan