Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Good morning, 35 years ago I had my name changed and applied

Good morning,
35 years ago I had my name changed and applied for a new card in that name instead of using the old card. On the application I used a different name for my parents. I knew this was wrong, again this was 35 or more years ago. I want to rectify this issue , please advise. I am 65 years old now and want to collect my SS.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you doing today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. However, it's one that you can clear up. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and it did happen many, many years ago.

Megan C :

What you can do is fill out form SS-5, which is an application for a social security card. You use the same form whether it's the first time you are applying or if you need a replacement card.

Megan C :

Take that form to your local office, and bring your birth certificate along with you. Use the correct parents name on this form.

Megan C :

This should update social security's records for you. Plus, the agent will be there to verify with you.

Megan C :

The form is available, HERE.

Megan C :

All you need is the form filled out, a copy of your birth certificate showing your parents correct names, and then a photo ID to prove your identity.

Customer:

will i be able to keep my same card i received 35 years ago?

Megan C :

Yes, you can still keep the same card you used. You will have the same social security number and everything.

Customer:

Again , I can get the form at the ss office and process immediately as long as i have necessary documentation?

Megan C :

Yes, you can - or you can print the form out as I provided a link, fill it out, and take it to social security. They will update your record while you sit there.

Customer:

Thanks so much

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No, you have been very helpful and eased a burden from me.

Megan C :

glad I could help. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

money well spent for excellent service

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level