Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I collect social security disability (for stomach cancer from

Customer Question

I collect social security disability (for stomach cancer from which I unexpectedly recovered so far). I may be offered a per diem temporary job in my former field. Would I jeopardize my disability benefits to accept this job? I am 62 years old.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: No, so long as you earn below the Substantial Gainful Activity ("SGA") amount. For 2013, monthly SGA amount for blind individuals is $1740. For non-blind individuals, the monthly SGA amount is $1040. For more information on SGA, click on the link below:

Substantial Gainful Activity

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Would reporting the per diem pay trigger a review from SS Disability? I don't think my condition would be considered disabled due to cancer which is currently in remission, although I do have permanent neuropathy in feet and fingers.

Response:
No, it would not in of itself. However, SSA usually does reviews every two to three years.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do they typically do reviews every 2 to 3 years for someone 62 years old? I have been receiving disability since 2009. I am

unaware of any reviews

unaware of any reviews

Response: There is no distinction made with regard to the age of the recipient. Review would be done if SSA finds it necessary

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok one more followup question please -- what if the amount earned was more than $1040 a month but the job only lasted one or 2 months?

Response: SSA is less likely to consider that a substantial gainful activity because of the duration of the work.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

but would it be considered the limitation of the employment opportunity rather than the limitation of the worker (me?) In other words, IF I can do the job but then the job ends, could I not still be considered employable and thus lose disability even though there is no other job at the moment for me due to the economy? Would I be jeopardizing my SSD for the sake of a well paid but short term job?

Response
: The answer is no unless SSA conducts disability review and finds you to be no longer disabled.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

When would I be required to report the per diem earnings? At the time of the first paycheck or the end of the month, or the end of the tax year?

Response: Immediately, For more information, click here