R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  Tax matters relating to Social Security Benefits only

Is there a recent provision of additional funding to divorced

Is there a recent provision of additional funding to divorced SS recipients who were married 10 years or more beyond the death benefit?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 9 months ago.

R. Klein, EA :

Hello, and thanks for your Social Security question.

R. Klein, EA :

I am not certain what you are asking about? Is it about the death benefit itself?

R. Klein, EA :

Or are you asking about a retirement benefit for divorced persons?

Customer:

When I retired, I had an appointment with SS person who told me that I had earned too much to receive benefits f

Customer:

rom my divorced and the only amount that would come due was the death benefit. Recently my ex husband told my son that I could be receiving something from his ss because we had been married more than 10 years. Thought I would check it out!

R. Klein, EA :

Well, let's start with the basics. How old are you currently? and did you remarry since the time you divorced the man in question?

Customer:

I am 75 and no I have remained single. He remarried.

R. Klein, EA :

When did you have this "meeting" with the SS person?

Customer:

2003

R. Klein, EA :

I'm assuming you worked for a good number of years yourself?

Customer:

YES, enough to earn too much to receive ss from his ss. 26 yrs all total before 65 and several more beyond.

R. Klein, EA :

The retirement benefits program is designed so that you are eligible for a retirement benefit based upon the GREATER of the benefit based on your work record or HALF of the benefit of your former spouse.

R. Klein, EA :

That's all you are entitled to. You cannot get any other benefit.

R. Klein, EA :

Divorced persons do not get any "extra" benefits.

Customer:

Well, I didn't think so, but telling my son that there was more was ODD and behooved me to check it out. By the way, I do have alimony that continues. Thank you for info and confirmation.

R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience: Tax matters relating to Social Security Benefits only