Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Been legally separated for 18 years. I am 63. If I were to

Been legally separated for 18 years. I am 63. If I were to start collecting off my exes ss now, could I change that when I reach fra if mine is more

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Customer:

Fine.

Megan C :

When you are younger than full retirement age, there's no benefit to drawing a spousal benefit early. This is because your benefit is forever reduced

Customer:

Thank you...that is what I've been wondering.

Megan C :

So, while you could take your spousal benefit early, there is no incentive to do that. If you are going to take a benefit early, take the higher benefit

Megan C :

I'm glad I could help. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Customer:

No, thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Betty for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today