Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

if I receive $1570 a month when I retire and my husband receives

if I receive $1570 a month when I retire and my husband receives $1600 a month how much will our 2 adopted sons be eligible to receive? they are 9 and 10
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The highest family benefit per wage earner is 150% of your earnings

Megan C :

So you can draw your benefit plus 50%. The child's benefit is 50% of the parent's benefit

Megan C :

Because two of you are drawing, you each can make the family maximum

Megan C :

So, one son will draw 1/2 of $1,570 and the other son will draw 1/2 of $1,600

Customer:

fine thank you. So I'm not sure I understand the I can draw my benefit of 1570 plus 50% plus my sons get the 1/2 of 1570 and 1600 and my husband gets 1600? Is that correct?

Megan C :

You draw your benefit, your son gets 1/2 of your benefit. Your husband draws $1,600 plus his benefit

Megan C :

$1,600 plus your son gets 1/2 of that

Customer:

I don't see an answer to my question

Megan C :

I'm sorry...we must be having technical difficulties

Megan C :

Can you see the response now? I will retype...

Megan C :

You draw $1,570 plus one of your sons gets 1/2 of that additionally.

Megan C :

Your husband draws $1,600 and the other son gets 1/2 of that additionally

Customer:

I don't know what's going on but I am not seeing an answer to my last question. Can you please email me the answer? It'sXXX@XXXXXX.XXX thanks

Customer:

I rated poor service because I cannot see any answers

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Marianne,

I'm sorry that you couldn't see my response. Perhaps you will be able to see it in this format.

You would draw $1,570 plus one son would get 1/2 of that amount. Your husband would draw $1,600 plus the other son would get 1/2 of that amount as well. Altogether, your family will draw $4,755

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.