Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I recieve SSI an I am finding it hard to rent a decent place

Customer Question

I recieve SSI an I am finding it hard to rent a decent place to live.I was with my childrens father for 23 years an i was with Stanley for eight years and our home was paid for but he died in 2010 following a fire we had in our home.Is there a way for social security to go up on my check just enough so I could pay rent somewhere an afford a phone an utilities.The cheapest place Ican find is 450.00 a month plus my utilities.PLEASE ANSWER IF POSSIBLE.MINDY
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Hi Mindy, how are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, SSI will not increase your benefit. They do not increase benefits so that you can pay rent or any thing else like that.

Megan C :

BUT!!!

Megan C :

You could be eligible for section 8 housing through HUD

Megan C :

How this works is if you are low income, you could qualify for a housing voucher.

Megan C :

You would be able to use that voucher to give to a prospective landlord, and they would accept it and receive rent for you from HUD.

Megan C :

Some vouchers even cover utilities, so it's possible you could get additional benefits in cash to pay your utilities.

Megan C :

So, while social security won't increase the benefit you still could get assistance with your rent.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today? If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service today

Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer