Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I recieve SSI an I am finding it hard to rent a decent place

Customer Question

I recieve SSI an I am finding it hard to rent a decent place to live.I was with my childrens father for 23 years an i was with Stanley for eight years and our home was paid for but he died in 2010 following a fire we had in our home.Is there a way for social security to go up on my check just enough so I could pay rent somewhere an afford a phone an utilities.The cheapest place Ican find is 450.00 a month plus my utilities.PLEASE ANSWER IF POSSIBLE.MINDY
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Hi Mindy, how are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, SSI will not increase your benefit. They do not increase benefits so that you can pay rent or any thing else like that.

Megan C :

BUT!!!

Megan C :

You could be eligible for section 8 housing through HUD

Megan C :

How this works is if you are low income, you could qualify for a housing voucher.

Megan C :

You would be able to use that voucher to give to a prospective landlord, and they would accept it and receive rent for you from HUD.

Megan C :

Some vouchers even cover utilities, so it's possible you could get additional benefits in cash to pay your utilities.

Megan C :

So, while social security won't increase the benefit you still could get assistance with your rent.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today? If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service today

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer