Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Can I get paid to stay home with my daughter, who just lost

Can I get paid to stay home with my daughter, who just lost both of her legs in a car accident? She was 18, just turned 19, and I want to stay home with her. Would I have to show that I lost income from my job because she needed me there? For the past 8 months, I have been having my business partner (In a business we own jointly) pay my share of the profit to my husband, so that I can show that I lost income. She is getting uncomfortable with this, so I need some advice. We are in Maryland, and my daughter will likely be getting SSi herself, but we need me to get paid, too, because I don't feel comfortable being at work when she is home alone.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

First off, I want to say that my heart goes out to you and I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

Megan C :

I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately social security does not provide for caregivers.

Megan C :

You can read about that, HERE

Megan C :

However, you can check with your local department of human services to see if there are any other forms of assistance that could be available to you.

Megan C :

If you are at least 62 you could file for early retirement through social security. If you did that, then your daugther who is disabled before the age of 22 would be able to draw a benefit equal to 1/2 of your benefit

Megan C :

This may be more than she would otherwise get through SSI

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service, or if you need additional information.

Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Can you find out if the State of Maryland offers anything that would help?

Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I had done some research a few days ago when you initially asked your question. There are no funds that are available in Maryland to pay caregivers. I'm truly sorry.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

One more thing - so there is no real reason for me to be trying to show that my income has been affected because of caring for my daughter? Nothing that I can gain by proving that? Does it affect the amount of SSI she can get for being disabled?

Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You are correct - there's no real reason to show that you have had your income impacted. Your income will not impact her SSI benefit - that's for her as she is over 18. It's based on her income.

Please let me know if I can be of any additional assitance, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Expert:  Megan C replied 6 months ago.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level