Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I collect social security against my deceased spouse. Is there

Customer Question

I collect social security against my deceased spouse. Is there any way I can increase my ss income?

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Your requested professional is unavailable, but I would be more than happy to assist you today. How are you doing?

Megan C :

You can draw the higher of your own benefit, or your spousal benefit. You can draw one of the two benefits.

Megan C :

If the widow's benefit is the highest benefit that you are eligible for, then there is no way to increase your social security income.

Megan C :

Each person only gets one benefit.

Megan C :

Please let me know if you have heard about any ways to increase your benefits. There are a lot of advertisements recently that say that you can increase your social security benefit dramatically, but in reality those methods only work for a select few individuals that don't know they can draw a spousal benefit.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry I didn't have better news for you. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing more I can assist you with today, could you please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service?

Megan C :

Have I provided you with excellent service?