Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife is disabled. We have a 6 year old autistic son who

My wife is disabled. We have a 6 year old autistic son who needs constant supervision. IBecaus of this, I can't work. Am I eligable for parent's benefits?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Is your wife currently drawing a social security disability benefit?

Customer:

Yes

Megan C :

And you have no other income from work or self employment, correct?

Customer:

Right

Megan C :

If that's the case, you are eligible for a spousal benefit - provided that your child is age 16 or younger (which he is)

Customer:

Great. I wish I knew that 6 years ago.

Megan C :

I'm sorry, but I'm glad I could clear that up for you

Megan C :

But you only get this benefit until your child is 16, then it drops off unless you are age 62 or older

Customer:

If I do find part time work, when my son is in school, will I still get bebefits>

Megan C :

You can't earn more than $15,120 for the year, and if you do benefits are reduced $1 for every $2 above that limit

Customer:

Sounds good.

Megan C :

Glad I could help.

Customer:

That's all I needed. When the goverment starts up again I'll apply. Thanks.

Megan C :

You're welcome. Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Jim for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.