Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im 68 and my wife is 58. She is the one who has the qualifying

Im 68 and my wife is 58. She is the one who has the qualifying quarters for ssan. I dont have sufficient quarters to qualify, My question is can I receive spousal benefits off her qualifications now even though she is not eligible to receive retirement benefits yet or do I have to wait til she turns 62 or 65?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, you cannot draw a spousal benefit until your spouse begins to draw their benefit.

Megan C :

So you would have to wait until your wife was drawing her benefit.

Megan C :

She can draw at age 62 at earliest

Customer:

Thanks

Thanks, Bill for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.