Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

For the last several months, I have been awarded monthly social

For the last several months, I have been awarded monthly social security dependent benefits (i.e., $$ deposited in my account), in addition to receiving a one-time lump backpay amount, for my 9-year-old son. My son's biological mother receives SS for a mental health disorder, and I have been appointed as the "Representative Payee" since she is unable to take care of my son. My son lives with me and I have sole custody

Will I be required to pay taxes on these SS dependent funds that I have received/am receiving/ during the 2013 year?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The benefits that are received are received by your son, not you, so you will not pay tax on this.

Megan C :

So long as 1/2 of your son's benefits plus his other income is less than $25,000 there is no tax and no need to file a tax return

Megan C :

Do you have any other questions? Is there anything else I can assist you with today? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

thank you. can you point me to either case law or CFR/Federal register where I can point my accountant to this info? My accountant is an enrolled agent and always needs to see things in black and white

Customer:

thanks. can you point me to CFR/social security info/case law that points to this info regarding the 25k and the tax issues discussed. My accountant is an EA and likes to see things in black and white

Megan C :

Thank you for your follow up. CLICK HERE for a representative payee guide. ON page 14 it notes "paying income tax" and it states that you will get a 1099-SSA for the beneficiary and whoever prepares the beneficiary's tax return would determine if any tax must be paid.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that you need assistance with today? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level