Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husbands employer is offering one Medical option for 2014.

Customer Question

My husbands employer is offering one Medical option for 2014. A consumer driven health plan which has to have an HSA attached to it. My husband cannot get an HSA he gets Medicare Part A and gets his fully vested social security. I am covered under his plan now. He is going to check with them on Monday but I guess we will not be able to get the employer coverage. Am I correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, if you are enrolled in Medicare part A, you are ineligible for an HSA. If the requirement of the plan is that there has to be an HSA attached to the plan, then your husband would be ineligible for the plan.

Megan C :

I don't know if the employer has a workaround or another type of plan to assist with this, or if you as a spouse would still be eligible for coverage.

Megan C :

Your husband would have to talk to his human resources department about the particulars of the plan.