LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

What is this information about being able to get $1,000.00

What is this information about being able to get $1,000.00 more on my Social Security than what I am getting already. Just by knowing what information?

Good morning Nancy,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age 62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting that additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applied to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Nancy. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.