Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I will be 62 on 10-18-13 can I start collecting Social Security?

I will be 62 on 10-18-13 can I start collecting Social Security? I am divorce, was married for 20 years can I collect from my exhusbands Social Security?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The answer to your question is that yes, you can start drawing social security at age 62. Your benefit will be reduced because you are drawing early, but you are still eligible to draw.

Megan C :

Whether or not you can draw off your ex spouse depends on if you are remarried. If you are not remarried (married currently) then you cannot draw off your ex.

Megan C :

If you are unmarried, you can draw off your ex because you were married longer than 10 years.

Megan C :

Since you are drawing early, your benefit would be equal to about 35% of his benefit. If you wait until age 66, it will be 50% of his benefit

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this?

Megan C :

If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service today

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer