Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

When Im ready to draw my social security do I us my ex husband

Customer Question

When I'm ready to draw my social security do I us my ex husband of my recent husband or both security?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

When you go to draw your social security benefit, you can draw a benefit off your own record OR a benefit off your current spouse. Once you remarry, you cannot draw off your former spouse, unless they pass away and your marriage to your current spouse began at age 60 or older.

Megan C :

Your benefit will be equal to the benefit that yields you the largest payment.

Megan C :

To find out what your benefit is vs what your spousal benefit is, you can call 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local office.

Megan C :

Each person only gets one benefit.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again!

JACUSTOMER-jp8z49f6- : So which ever one of the spouses that benefits me the best is the one I should use.
JACUSTOMER-jp8z49f6- : So there is no one else there to help me!
JACUSTOMER-jp8z49f6- : You asked if I had anymore questions, then you stepped out of our chat. Is it for a few moments or for good?
JACUSTOMER-jp8z49f6- : We'll I suppose you finished with me before I finished. Is this hoe it works? If so I can continue getting my answers at Barnes and Nobel and Google and safe myself the money. But I am on a moths free trial so I should not have been charged yet, Right?
Megan C :

I had computer problems, I apologize

Megan C :

I am here now...

Megan C :

No, the spouse that you would have to use would be your current spouse. You cannot use your ex spouse if you remarried, unless your ex spouse has passed and you married your current spouse after you turned 60

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry that I was not here when you arrived in our chat. Here at JustAnswer.com you can reply here as much as you like, until you are satisfied. My goal is to ensure that you are satisfied and I am truly sorry about your frustration.

Megan C :

So, in summary to answer your question -- you will use your current spouse for benefits. Typically you cannot use your ex spouse benefits once you remarry.