Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I want to help a household employee begin paying into social

I want to help a household employee begin paying into social security. Is it possible to pay some social security for her retroactively so that she already has some credit or can a person only pay into SS during the current time he or she is working? (I know one has to pay into the system for ten years to receive benefits in the future...what I mean is, can a lump sum payment to begin, shorten the ten years, regardless of whether the person was previously employed and never paid into the system in the past?)

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today/

Megan C :

Unfortunately, the only time you can pay into social security is while you are working.

Megan C :

There is no such thing as a lump sum buy in ... it's only for the period in which you work.

Customer:

Thank you. If the person was indeed working, but never paid in, can they pay retroactively? (Or is that the same thing as a lump sum "buy in" as you say it above)

Megan C :

You would have to refile tax returns retroactively for the years that the people were working, yet not paying in

Megan C :

There would be penalties that would have to be paid as well, so I wouldn't recommend it

Customer:

I understand. I think she did file tax returns but didn't have much income...is there a minimum income that would allow a person to pay into SS? Or can you do it at any level of income?

Megan C :

If you are paying wages, it's any level of income.

Megan C :

If you are self employed, you get credit through paying self employment taxes

Customer:

thank you this is very helpful

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Megan C :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Deb for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today