Rakhi Vasavada
Rakhi Vasavada, Financial and Legal Consultant
Experience:  Graduated in law with Emphasis on Finance and have have been working in financial sector for over 12 Years
43581946

Is my ex husband entitled to my Federal CSRS disability be

Customer Question

Is my ex husband entitled to my Federal CSRS disability benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Rakhi Vasavada replied 3 years ago.
Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for providing an opportunity to assist you.

YES. The formal spouse is eligible. A monthly survivor annuity may be payable to a former spouse after the death of the employee or annuitant if provided by court order. In addition, a retiring employee may voluntarily elect a fully or partially reduced annuity to provide a former spouse survivor annuity. However, if the employee has remarried, this
election may be made only if the current spouse consents to it.

A divorced spouse of a federal employee may be eligible for a survivor benefit if the employee elected a survivor annuity for the former spouse or under a state court decree of divorce, annulment, or separation.1 The survivor annuity under CSRS is 55% of the retirement benefit that the deceased employee had accrued at the time of death, but without any reduction for being under the age of 55. The annuity is guaranteed to be no smaller than 55% of the lesser of (1) 40% of the average of the employee’s highest three consecutive years of pay or (2) the annuity that would result from projecting the
employee’s years of service to age 60.

I am more than sure this would help. You may please leave a positive rating if this helped as this is the only way we are compensated for helping you. Alternatively, please feel absolutely free to revert back with a reply if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not ask about when I die. I asked if I go out on CSRS disability, does my husband get his marital share. I know he gets it when I go out on regular CSRS retirement.

Dear Friend,

Hello and welcome. Thank you for your follow up reply.

No, he won't be otherwise eligible. He would be eligible only as a survivor beneficiary.

I hope this helps....You may please leave a positive rating if this helped as this is the only way we are compensated for helping you. Alternatively, please feel absolutely free to revert back with a reply if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards