Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Hi Stephanie I am retired and my husband is as well however

Customer Question

Hi Stephanie

I am retired and my husband is as well however his check is much more than mine and I would like to know if I am entitled to have any more added to my to equal 1/2 of his amount.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Sabrina, thank you so much for your inquiry, and requesting me. With regard to your post:

Can you clarify how old you were when you started to collect retirement?
How much is your benefit amount (before deductions)?
How much is your husband's benefit?
How long have you been married?

I look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Joy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

66 yrs old

883.00 after deduction

my husband about 2200.00 sorry I'm not sure on all these amounts.

45 yrs married

OK, yes, you can file for "spousal" benefits, which would be your own benefit (including any reduction if you collected before you were 66 years old, but since you didn't file early, reduction), together with the difference between your full PIA and 50% of his full PIA, as the spousal component, getting you $1100/month.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely, Stephanie

Your online legal resource!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because my job depends on it. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service - to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receive credit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq. - Owner/Social Security Disabilty Law Office