Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My spouse is a Retired Army NCO and receives an annuity monthly.

My spouse is a Retired Army NCO and receives an annuity monthly. He is currently employed as a Federal Govt. civilian. He will be 66 in July, 2014 and intends to file for SS at that time.
I am also employed as a GS-6/9 and will retire at the end of this year. I will be 62 years in January, 2014. I am the lower income earner for SS purposes and would like to file using FAASF deferring my SS until I reach 70.
Does my husband have to apply before I can claim as a spouse?
Is this the best plan?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The FAASF option is only available if you are full retirement age or older, and your husband would have to first file for his own benefit.

Megan C :

You cannot use FAASF at the age of 62

Customer:

So I would have to file for my reduced SS benefit at 62 or wait until I turn 66 in order to start drawing a benefit?

Megan C :

That is correct. If you want to draw at 62, you would take your own benefit. You could take the spousal benefit if it is larger, but you could not later on take your own benefit.

Megan C :

If you wait until age 66, then you can draw a spousal benefit and allow your own benefit to grow to age 70

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Thanks, Marian for your positive rating and generous bonus. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.