Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I received money from Social Security after my ex husband died

I received money from Social Security after my ex husband died which I wasn't supposed to receive because I get a pension. They didn't bother to find this out before they started sending me money. I eventually went to the Social Security Administration in Aurora, CO and they set up an agreement to pay back the money.I am paying back $88 a month for 36 months
I keep receiving mail from the Western Program Service Center in Richmond, Calif that doesn't seem to agree with this and wants more money. I have written them several times and sent them my letter of agreement from Aurora , CO, but just received the latest letter telling me to call then about an important Social Security matter. It is almost impossible to get through to someone and I need them to know that I am retired on a fixed income and cannot make a large payment or payments. Please let me know what I should do. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX McCalla, Claim number,NNN-NN-NNNN7
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 7 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

IO

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your social security issue. I realize that it is very frustrating.

Megan C :

What you need to do in this situation is call 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local social security office, and bring copies of any correspondence that you have been receiving.

Megan C :

Do you have further questions about this matter?

Megan C :

If you have an agreement with social security to pay back any overpayment, they will have to adhere to that agreement.

Megan C :

You can also apply to waive the over payment request by filing form 632 www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-632.html

Customer:

I do not want to sign up for any more questions. I can not pay this money----you should have told me about this----it is very unfair. I will pay the $30 for this question but no more. You didn't give me any opinion---I know I can call the office here.

Megan C :

Did you know that you can apply, based on your financial need, to have the overpayment recovery waived

Megan C :

meaning that you would not have to pay it back, if that option was granted to you?

Megan C :

All you need to do is CLICK HERE to download the form, fill it out, and take it to your local office. Basically, the overpayment was not your fault, and

Megan C :

you can point that out to social security and request to not have to pay it back.

Customer:

I rated her ok, but didn't see the word submit.. What she told me I already knew- I mainly wanted to know if the office in Calif has to honor the agreement that was set up for me in Aurora, CO. If so they need to stop sending me letters for more money. I have explained several times about the agreement with the Aurora office.

Megan C :

You can try rating again, I had a feature disabled

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 7 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.