dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

my husband is 74 years old...he has ALS and has had it for

my husband is 74 years old...he has ALS and has had it for over a year..can he apply for disability? he collects social security now.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Thanks for your question. Note, once you start collecting SS retirement, you cannot also collect SS disability. So what the SSA told you is correct. Also note that persons on SSD are eligible for Medicare, parts A and B after 24 months of collecting SS disability. Likewise, in your husband's case, he is collecting SS retirement AND is eligible for Medicare. Therefore he is not entitled to any additional benefits.

I wish you both well. Pease be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.