LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

need to apply for mediare not elgible for social security

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning Jeri,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I'm not sure that I understand your situation. Why are you not eligible for social security? Are you not old enough, or do you not have enough quarter credits to meet the 40 credit minimum needed?
2. Why do you believe that you qualify for MediCare?

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

not enough quaters i recieve teacer retirment in texas

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.
Hi Jeri,

Thanks for letting me know that. I need a bit more information, please.

How may quarters of social security credits do you have?
Do you not have medical coverage with your teacher's retirement package?

Doug
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

have 6 quarters i have trs insurance but have alway paid medicalre tax

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jeri,

Thanks for the information.

There may be some confusion about what you were paying for when you worked as a teacher. You say that you always paid into MediCare---but that can’t be possible if you were a teacher and paying into your teacher's retirement plan. When paying into that plan, you pay no taxes for social security or for MediCare. Only if you hold a job that deducts social security taxes from you (FICA) would you have paid into MediCare. And because you didn't pay into MediCare or Social security for the required 40 quarters, you don't qualify for free MediCare Part A. However, you can buy it from the government if you want it.

Because you don't have enough quarter credits to qualify for free MediCare part A, you have the option to purchase it. As you have only 4 credits, your monthly premium to by MediCare Part A---which is for hospital coverage---will cost you $441 a month. You may buy Part B as well---for doctor visits---at about $100 per month.

If you are married, and your spouse is at least 62, and you are at least 65, you will qualify for free MediCare Part A on his earnings, and you can also get Part B---which everyone must pay for, for about $100 per month.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

always patd fica tax

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jeri,

I am confused by your statement that you always paid FICA---even while a teacher? If you truly paid FICA during your job as a teacher, then you would absolutely have many more quarters of social security credits than you claim to have.

It is not possible to pay for only MediCare, and FICA pays for your social security retirement and your Medicare. So if you always paid FICA, you would qualify for social security retirement and MediCare if you worked at least 10 years.

What you may be confusing is the terminology. When you pay into the teacher's retirement program, they call past of your payment a FICA Replacement Plan. This is money paid not to social security, but to your teacher's retirement plan and in return you are given medical coverage when you retire. I think that this is the FICA you were paying. But it was not paid into the social security system.

So, again, if you worked as a teacher most of your life and only have 6 quarter credits, if you want MediCare and are not married to someone who qualifies for MediCare themselves, then you will be obligated to pay for the MediCare plan if you want it---but it is available to you if you are willing to pay for it.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Jeri. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.