Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband died in the 70s and at that time I collected S.S.

My husband died in the 70's and at that time I collected S.S. on his contributions. I have never remarried and am not 65. Can I collect on his Social Security again or does it get depleted if you collect at a husband's death. My infant daughter also was able to collect until she was 18 years old.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You can collect social security off your late husband as early as age 60

Megan C :

You can certainly collect his benefit again - you are not limited based on previous benefits

Customer:

Oh. OK so can I collect retroactively for 60? and how do I go about doing

Customer:

this

Megan C :

How many years has it been since you turned 60? You can only collect retroactive six months

Customer:

5 years ago. Just hit the 65 mark this month.

Megan C :

I'm so sorry, but you cannot draw benefits retroactive 5 years

Customer:

So how do I start the process? Just by calling S.S.?

Megan C :

Yes, you can start the process by calling social security, or visiting your local office

Megan C :

You will need your marriage certificate, your husband's death certificate, and your ID

Customer:

Thank you, Megan! This is very helpful.

Thanks, Patricia for your positive rating. Please come back and see me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on this survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.