Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Age 65 and older, can we do some back taxes to secure points.

Customer Question

Age 65 and older, can we do some back taxes to secure points. How many points are needed for retirement benefits and what happens if we do not have full points.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

In order to qualify for social security, you will need to have 40 quarters of credit for social security

Megan C :

That is 10 years of work activity

Megan C :

You can certainly file your back taxes and get credit for social security even if you are over the age of 65

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

The answer to your question is that you need 10 years of credits (40 quarters) to qualify for social security, and you can earn these credits at any age.

Megan C41539.7238748727