Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A friend told me that I can collect on my deceased ex-husbands

A friend told me that I can collect on my deceased ex-husband's social security. (I will be 62 in Dec and am presently working.) Is this true?
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Yes, it is true if your marriage lasted for ten years or more and you did not remarry before the age of 60.However, you do not have to meet the length of marriage requirement if you are caring for the child of the marriage who is under 16 years of age or if the child is disabled. For more information, click here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank-you for the answer! Unfortunately I remarried at 59 and wish I had known about this sooner. Oh well. (sigh)

Response: That's too bad.

Have a wonderful day, anyway.