Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am trying to locate my ex-husbands social security number

Customer Question

I am trying to locate my ex-husbands social security number to see if I qualify for his social security benefits. Can you help?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: Thank you for requesting for my assistance this evening:

Response: Unfortunately, I do not have access to Social Security database. So, I cannot find the number for you. However, I can point you to tools you can use to try to find them. These are the following places that you can find the number:

(1) Your joint income tax returns;

(2) Your joint application for loans;

(3) Your joint application for credit cards;

(4) Your joint application for rental car;

(5) Your joint application for insurance;

(6) Your joint application for health benefits;

(7) Your joint application for any government assistance;

(8) Your divorce papers on the documents regarding child support and alimony.

Let me know if you still cannot find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried with divorce papers, marriage license. As far as the others I have no idea how to request those. Unfortunately I cannot afford any other fees.

Do you know of any other way to find out? I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

It would not cost you anything to request a copy of your joint tax returns for instance from the IRS or your State's Department of Revenue. You only need to request for the returns using your Social Security Number. Here is information how to request for a copy of your joint tax returns from the IRS:

Request tax transcripts

May I ask why you gave me a negative rating for trying to assist you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried many different angles to receive my ex's SS #. Unfortunately I cannot afford to go to a lawyers office.

But why did that translate to a negative rating to me when I tried to make other suggestion for you? Why did what I suggested amount to "poor service?"