Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

My wife is very sick with a rare illness

My wife is very sick with a rare illness called poems syndrome. Lost use of legs, feet and hands among many other side effects. She does receive a federal check for $511 per month. Her disability went through with no issues. However I am consumed by being her care giver. I feed her, wash her, and tend to her bathroom needs. I can no longer work in IT management which I did for 30 years. Is it possible I can receive some type of aid financially? I am running out of unemployment and want to avoid savings etc. I am 52 and can draw a small pension in 2016. I al also considering taking my social security at 62 which will be 1800 per month. How can the primary bread winner who can't work which renders him disabled by proxy due to a serious health issue with his spouse? A horrible situation has hit us and I am trying to limp to 55 and pension and try to keep my head above water. I worked hard my entire life I want to safe guard savings and can anything help me allow me to take care of my very dependent wife?

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties. I commend you for doing the best that you can under the circumstances:

Response: You may be able to get assistance under your State's "Cash and Counselling” program. This is a program where Medicaid pays her directly for her care if she qualifies instead of paying a home health care agency, then she would use that money to pay you. So, you need to contact the Department of Medicaid Services or similar department in your state and put application for her to see if she qualifies for home health care. If she does, you would be providing the care and getting compensated by her through the funds that she would receive from Medicaid instead of Medicaid paying a home health care agency to come and take care of her.

Click here to see contact information for your state and the type of program your state offers.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your response. Medicaid do you need to be classified disabled 2years to receive? Then that would be may 2014. it will see if I can get it sooner then follow your advice. Thanks again.

Response: No, you do not need to be classified as disabled for two years in order to be eligible. Each state has different requirements. Medicaid is based on needs and income.

Let me know how you made out.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Update. Moving ahead with NJ PPP application for care pay.