Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am drawing SS at this time. My wife is entitled to SS for

I am drawing SS at this time. My wife is entitled to SS for herself but wants to wait until full retirement age (she is 64 now). I understand she can draw 50% of my monthly benefit now without disturbing her benefit at full retirement age. If this is true how do she apply for this benefit?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Since your wife is under the age of 66, she cannot draw the spousal benefit and allow her own benefit to grow.

Megan C :

She can do so at the age of 66 - allowing her benefit to grow to age 70, but not before full retirement age.

Megan C :

If your wife draws the social security benefit now, her own benefit will be reduced at the level of age 64, so there's no benefit to drawing the spousal benefit early if you want your own full benefit at full retirement age

Customer:

That makes sense, but wanted a second opinion. We were led to believe that she could file early and draw 50% of mine while deferring hers to full retirement. Apparently Uncle won't go for that. Thanks. HAGW.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. If you have nothing that needs further clarification, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Bill for your positive rating and generous bonus. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated as it will help me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.