LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I dont have my social security number. Cant remember it.

Customer Question

I don't have my social security number. Can't remember it. have no documentation . Is it possible to get my SS number?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Only the social security administration has access to your social security records. However, there are many places that you have to have used your social security number.

1. Look on your last year's tax return--state or federal and it will be there.
2. Contact your bank because every bank account you have has your social security number attached to it.
3. Every credit card you have had an application and that application needed your social security card so that you could apply for credit.
4. If you rent an apartment or home, chances are good that you provided a written document to the landlord before you rented with your social security number so that they could run a credit check on you.
5. Colleges require that you provide your social security number, and they would have that information on file.
6. Any employer that you have worked for in since 1936 would have a record of your social security number.

I am certain that one of these methods will work for you to recover your social security number. After you retrieve it, be sure to order a replacement social security card as well. Here is a link from which you can get the application to order your replacement card:

Alternatively, you may go into your local social security office and fill out the same form. Either way, you will get your new card on average 7 to 10 days after you submit the application for the replacement card.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good evening,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

If there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.