Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I immigrated with my family to USA in July 2012 . We have

Customer Question

I immigrated with my family to USA in July 2012 . We have a social security numbers and Green Cards . I am employed as a Realtor but I have earned no income . I rely on saving funds from South Africa to support my family . My wife and I are willing and able to contribute towards social security . I am 55 years old and I am concerned for my long term financial stability . After 4 years we will become US citizens and I wish to plan for my old age. Are there any benefits afforded to me if we contribute to social security now and in what amount? . I have been told that unless I have contributed to social security for a continuous period of 10 years I do not qualify for any benefits . Please advise me of my obligations and duties towards obtaining social security benefits in the future . Many thanks
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

If you have 40 quarters (10 years) of work covered by social security, or have self employment earnings, then you will qualify for social security

Megan C :

The amount of your benefit depends on how much you earned during those years you work.

Megan C :

Each year you can set up an account online at www.ssa.gov/myaccount and see an estimate of what your benefit will be. I could not estimate your benefit, because I do not work for social security.

Megan C :

If you do not have 40 quarters of work, then what you have heard is correct - you will not receive benefits.

Megan C :

There's no way to "buy" credits - you can only work to get credit.

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can assist you with today, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer