LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I plan to retire at 62 years old. Estimate $1700 mo SS payment.

I plan to retire at 62 years old. Estimate $1700 mo SS payment. My wife is 51 years old. We have a 12 year old daughter in school. Will my spouse and child be eligible for any SS payments at that time? Based on my $1700 how much would they receive and for how long?

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Age 62 is the earliest that a person can take either an early social security retirement benefit or an early spouse benefit based on their spouse's lifetime income. So, your wife would not be immediately eligible for any social security benefit until at least age 62.

However, as you have a minor child you are caring for, your child still be eligible for a child benefit until she reaches the age of 18, or as late as age 19 and 2 months so long as she is enrolled full time in either grade school or high school. Your child's benefit will be equal to 50% of the benefit that you are receiving ($850.00 per month). Her benefit will in no way decrease your benefit though.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

If you have any follow-up questions to my answers here, you may come back and ask them in this thread---at no additional charge------and I will be happy to assist you.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug