Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If a relative is suspended from SSI for receiving cash assistance

If a relative is suspended from SSI for receiving cash assistance from another relative, then what are they supposed to live on for the full year they are on suspension? Each month they receive relative help is another month they are "violating" the rules that got them suspended in the first place. Catch-22?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Megan C :

Unfortunately, if a relative is suspended from SSI for receiving cash assistance from another relative, then like you said if they continue receiving cash assistance then they are in violation of the rules.

Customer:

Yeah, but what are they supposed to eat?

Customer:

Dogfood? Dumpster diving?

Megan C :

The family member could give them food...just not cash

Customer:

What if there are no family members closer than 2500 miles away?

Customer:

We thought "food" was also ISM assistance...

Megan C :

That would be a difficult situation. The rules are not fair, but the way social security looks at it, if the family can support this person then the government doesn't need to. It's truly unfair.

Customer:

Partially support.... so this is the way to kick people off of SSI and then the Medicare / Medical goes away too. With a chronic health history that is a $1200/month premium!

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry. I wish I had better news. Has this person applied for food stamps and housing assistance?

Customer:

Hence the 30-50 people at the nearby homelesss camp!

Megan C :

I wish I had better news.

Customer:

How far back can SSA go in being "indictive" about this. Relative was already getting docked for 22 months of bank account balance over >$2000. This was a decade ago.

Megan C :

They typically only go back the last few years.

Customer:

So all you really did was read the July 2008 VTC web doc back to me!

Megan C :

I'm not sure what that is...I'm sorry

Customer:

What do they do to recover if he is suspended. They can't withhold if nothing is given out. Are the relatives liable?

Customer:

Sorry... but sound like you know less than I do!

Customer:

While probing the vast knowledge base here..

Megan C :

Unfortunately, in this situation there's not much that can be done. The rules are set up so that you can't get cash assistance and benefits at the same time, if the cash assistance continues, then the benefits remain stopped.

Customer:

Does SSDI require the 40 quarters minimum of SS to qualify?

Megan C :

Yes, SSDI requires 40 quarters of work to qualify which is 10 years of service

Customer:

Or is disability handled separately?

Megan C :

and you have to have worked in the last 5 years

Customer:

I am not the person.

Megan C :

Disability is handled separately than SSI, and if you are disabled, and get SSDI you can get all the cash assistance you need without impacting the benefits

Customer:

Still have not answer question on relatives being liable for supporting SSI person.

Customer:

Right but you still have to have worked the 40 Q for to be SSDI eligible correct?

Megan C :

Yes, you still have to have 40 quarters of SS credits

Customer:

Another Catch-22!

Customer:

Why don't we just set up Soylent Green plants!

Megan C :

What exactly is your question regarding the relatives? I have answered that there is not that much that can be done, because it is part of the rules - cash assistance = reduced benefits, unfortunately and as unfair as that is

Customer:

Still waiting on liable call / risk?

Megan C :

The family is not liable to social security...only the person receiving the benefits is

Customer:

Can SSA come after the relatives for reimbursement?

Megan C :

No, they cannot

Megan C :

Only the person receiving benefits

Megan C :

The relative isn't the one who received the benefits, therefore they are not liable

Customer:

Must be a lot of hungry / homeless people out there....

Customer:

Can SSA take the SSI's person's vehicle?

Megan C :

No, they cannot take your vehicle. Especially if it's your only one.

Megan C :

What they typically do is suspend benefits until you have repaid the overpayment, and then start benefits back up again

Customer:

What about the SSI person getting hoodwinked into signing up for Blue Cross / Blue Shield when they already had MediCal for free because of SSI?

Megan C :

They can cancel their BCBS plan...

Customer:

That was the majority of the relative assistance. Legal if paid directly to insurance company, not if paid indirectly.

Customer:

After 7 years of paying $10 per year... somebody was being deceptive...

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear that.

Customer:

I'm sorry than you work in a system and field that treats all needy people like they are worthless, freeloading crap!

Megan C :

I do not work for social security.

Customer:

I said field...

Megan C :

You are not talking to a social security agent...we are an independent website that fields questions regarding social security rules.

Customer:

It was worth the $30 just for the entertainment value of seeing the twisted logic at work.

Customer:

I hope you don't pay any more than 10% tax rate!

Megan C :

Unfortunately, it's the government...and what the government does rarely makes sense

Customer:

I think we are done.

Megan C :

Would you say that I have provided you with excellent service today?

Customer:

I known I worked indirectly for them too.

Megan C :

Indirectly for whom?

Customer:

I am not sure... more like telling me what I already knew or could figure out. But useful to here somebody parrot back the insanity nonetheless.

Customer:

The go'vt - contractor...

Customer:

Excellent service from a insane government system!

Customer:

But I do have one suggestion

Megan C :

Would you say that I have provided you with okay, good, or excellent service? I get penalized for negative ratings, so please rate me based on me personally and not how you feel about the system.

Megan C :

what would your suggestion be?

Customer:

If the gov't really wanted to get medieval about this they could issue reloadable debit cards only to be used for groceries, food and rent/housing. Reload w/ benefit each month. Violate a purchase and next month's benefit is reduced by that amount.

Megan C :

That would be very smart.

Megan C :

Most food stamps are given on a debit card.

Customer:

Excellent service. You can even make this suggestion for me - for free!

Customer:

Get a gov't WF&A award. Move up the food chaing.

Megan C :

Okay, great. If you would, please use the rating feature along the bottom of the screen. This gives me credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Unfortunately SNAP counts againt SSI - no win.

Megan C :

We aren't government contractors, either - we are truly independent.

Customer:

Roger... Thanks anyway for confirming the bad news...

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry the news couldn't be different.

Megan C :

Please don't forget to rate my response before leaving the chat. This is how I receive credit for assisting you with your issue tonight.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Jeff for your positive rating. I truly enjoyed talking with you tonight. I realize the system isn't set up the best way, but you did make some excellent suggestions and I think your logic is spot on. If only the government could be so sage.

In a couple of days you may receive a survey about my service. Your positive feedback on this survey would be greatly appreciated, as it will assist with my rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing more to say.

What I expected was confirmed by you.

The system is insane and sucks but not your fault. You did okay. I still maintain "groceries" are ISM but we'll see (VCU website - which pretty much covers is all).