Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Can a Mother who has two children and her Ex has Court Order

Can a Mother who has two children and her Ex has Court Order Child Support (Ex is not paying anything towards Child Support) get Child Support paid through monies already paid to Social Security in the years past??????
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Is your ex currently receiving social security benefits? If so, your children should also be receiving a benefit from his record. If they aren't, visit your local social security office to get them set up.

Customer:

Note: This is my daughter and grandchildren I am attempting to help!

Megan C :

If their father is not receiving benefits, then you can't get any money from social security to help with child support

Megan C :

The only time you can receive benefits is if one of the parents is currently drawing a benefit

Customer:

And No, he is a young man who just got out of jail (again), and is unwilling to pay Court Ordered Child Support and we do not want him back in jail - He needs to help his children today! If he has already paid into Social Security, I just cannot see why my daughter would not be able to tap into his previous payments to Social Security! And yes, I am well aware that if he receiving benefits of any sort, or even has a job with a paycheck, that we could garner funds from those areas! That definitely is not the case!

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear that

Megan C :

Unfortunately, social security isn't set up where each person has an account where you can draw money from. The money just goes to the government

Megan C :

So, he doesn't have an account to draw from. Unfortunately, you cannot reach social security for these payments. The only time you get benefits are if you are disabled or retired...so, he would need to be disabled or retired for these children to get benefits

Customer:

I too am well aware of what you are saying - I also work in a courthouse and have access to all the laws of Westlaw, et cetera - I was seeking to find out if I was missing anything and needed a second opinion! Thanks. My daughter and he will be going to a Hearing Officer on the first of next month, where he will now have to pay to the District Attorney's Office monthly the $750 he was court ordered to pay, as well as the $16,000 in back pay that I as a 73 year old Court Reporter have been paying because he refused to do so. But Thanks!

Megan C :

I'm so sorry that I couldn't help you more with your situation. I wish there were additional resources for your daughter to tap...unfortunately they are just not there. It's not fair.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, Don for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on this survey would be greatly appreciated as it will help with the rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.