Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband started receiving Social Security benefits at age

My husband started receiving Social Security benefits at age 62 (two years ago this November) and has now started a new job. Do we need to call and stop this benefit since he is working and will be making more than 14K from his new employment.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You don

Megan C :

You don't have to necessarily quit your benefit. It will be reduced $1 for every $2 you earn above $15,120

Megan C :

So even though he is working, he may still be getting a benefit

Megan C :

But, keep in mind that social security will send his full benefit, then when wages are reported to them they will ask for any overpayment back, so I would be sure to calculate how much of the benefit he is entitled to, then hold the other in savings so that you aren't stuck with a bill you can't pay.

Megan C :

If you don't want the hassle of keeping up with this, all you will need to do is call and have his benefits suspended.

Megan C :

His benefit would then start to grow...it won't be frozen in time.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Megan C :

If not, please reply and let me know if I have provided you with excellent service

Customer:

No more questions and yes, thank you for your excellent service. I am trying to click on the "excellent service" happy face, but it is not allowing me to.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry, we had technical difficulties with the live chat. If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more questions,mThank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No more questions. Thank you. .