LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.

I am on social security disability and am 67. Would I get

I am on social security disability and am 67. Would I get a higher benifit by taking my retirement benifit instead?

andy zoglman [email protected]

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, you only think that you are still receiving SSDI. Social security automatically switches you from disability to retirement at full retirement age---which was age 66 for you. You probably didn’t notice it because the benefit generally stays the same when you transition from SSDI to retirement.

But if you hadn't been switched, no, switching after full retirement age would not increase your benefit. I'm sorry.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:

Thanks again.

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.