Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

can I draw social security from my deceased spouse even if

can I draw social security from my deceased spouse even if I already get social security for
my self I am 71 yrs old

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, each person is entitled to one social security benefit - so it's that benefit that gets you the greatest amount is what you will draw

Megan C :

So if your benefit is greater than the survivor benefit, you will not draw anything.

Megan C :

If the survivor benefit is greater, they will switch you to the survivor benefit but you will not get both your benefit and the survivor benefit.

Megan C :

Do you have any questions about this? Please let me know if I need to clarify. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer