Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband recently died and I was advised I was eligible for

My husband recently died and I was advised I was eligible for his social security at age 60
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

Megan C :

It's true that you can receive a spousal benefit as early as age 60, but if you work and earn a wage that amount is reduced $1 for every $2 you earn above $15,120.

Megan C :

So, yes - you can draw a benefit early, but there is truth to what you heard about not being able to draw the benefit if you earn over a certain amount.

Megan C :

However, once you are 66 you can earn an unlimited amount and still draw the benefit

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this? If not, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Is there somewhere I can see what that certain amount is I because currently I am working and plan to retire by 56 and just trying to see if I could get that benefit at 60. I'm asking this because I'm doing an analysis and I need to know if this benefit would be part of the equation. I currently work and have been at my company for 33 years.

Megan C :

You would have to contact social security to find out what that amount is...because they are the only ones with that information.

Megan C :

You can reach them by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local office

Customer:

Thanks Megan, I do understand I just thought it was a chart or something I could go to online. I did not think to ask them about the income requirement while I was in the office. And the Advisor did not say anything about an income requirement when she advise to come into the office at age 60. Again thank you so much.

Megan C :

You're welcome. There's no chart, because it all depends on how much your husband earned during his life.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Sheryl for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on the survey would be appreciated as it will assist me with the rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.