Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Should I keep my primary BCBS Med. ins. along w/ my secondary

Should I keep my primary BCBS Med. ins. along w/ my secondary Medicare ins. or opt out of the BCBS Medical ins. & use only my Medicare?

My spouse has BCBS medical insurance through his employer which has over 100 employees, therefore making BCBS the primary insurance. I am 56 years old and have Medicare Parts A & B due to health issues. My primary physician takes Medicare. The BCBS monthly premium is $451 w/annual deductible of $6K. The Medicare's monthly premium is $100 w/annual deductibles of $147 & approx $1500. I currently am paying both Medicare and BCBS.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

There are lots of things that Medicare does not cover, so it is always good to have secondary form of coverage such as coverage through an employer or through a medicare advantage plan.

Megan C :

You should definitely keep Medicare, because it is very affordable coverage and if something ever happens with your plan you will be covered.

Megan C :

You may be better off finding a medicare advantage plan to go along with your Medicare B coverage.

Megan C :

You can search for what is available in your area by going to www.medicare.gov

Megan C :

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan/questions/home.aspx

Customer:

Ok, thanks for the advise. I will do as you suggested - let me confirm, I will keep my primary BCBSTX medical insurance since "there are lots of things that Medicare does not cover" and also I will keep Medicare "if something ever happens with your plan you will be covered." I will also research the sites you mentioned for finding a medicare advantage plan to go along with my Medicare B coverage. For clarification, the medicare advantage plan would be a medical plan to replace the BCBSTX medical insurance I have through my husband's insurance, right?

Megan C :

Yes, if you find a Medicare advantage plan, that would replace your BCBS coverage

Megan C :

You should be able to find coverage for about half of what you are paying now, depending on where you live

Customer:

Very good! Thanks for the excellent advise! My husband's employer needs an answer tomorrow. Do you think it is safe to just take coverage on him at this time and obtain a Medicare advantage plan right away for me. Do you think I would be able to opt out of the BCBSTX medical insurance later when I obtain a Medicare advantage plan if I don't opt out now during this open enrollment period?

Megan C :

You should be able to drop the health insurance as soon as you find another plan

Customer:

THANKS!!! I'll give you the highest ratings!

Megan C :

Thank you so much. You have a great night

Thank you for your positive rating and very generous bonus. I truly appreciate it. Please come back and see me any time you have a question - tax, finance, or social security. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feeback on this survey would be greatly appreciated as it will assist me with my rankings on the site.