Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hello, Im filling out Social Security Representative Payee

Hello, I'm filling out Social Security Representative Payee Report form #623 for our 26 yr. old son who is autistic and bipolar with schizophrenia tendencies. How much do I list for housing? Our house payments are $518 per month yet if our son rented a room, the going rate is $600 per month. I'm confused which amount to use. I've gotten different answers each time I've called SS. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

On the representative payee report, you list for housing the cost of his housing. If he is simply living with you then you would list $0 as the amount. What you are doing is accounting for how you spent his money

Megan C :

Ensuring that the funds went to him, and him alone

Customer:

We spend more on our son than SS gives him. Every time I call SS I get a different answer, always vague. Our house payment is $518 per month yet if our son rented a room in our area it would cost him $600 per month. Which amount do I use on the payee report? Also food is at least $25 per day and he smokes 2 pks a day. I was told by SS to make all expenses BALANCE what SS pays him a year. I'm so confused. They paid him this year (8-10-12 thru 7-31-13) a total of $10,844 but we spend much more than that.

Customer:

He's on medi-cal but we also pay for Anthem Blue Cross PPO and medicines, some of which are NOT covered by medi-cal.

Megan C :

If you spend more than that on him, then you just put in expenses until they equal what social security pays

Megan C :

They just want to make sure that the funds are spent on him.

Megan C :

So, you may not need to worry about housing because you spend so much elsewhere.

Customer:

So there's no way to increase what he receives from SS?

Megan C :

You can only put on the report what you actually pay out for him. So, if he paid you rent you put that amount. However, if he does not pay rent then you do not put down any cost of housing

Megan C :

No, there's no way to increase what he's getting from social security.

Megan C :

The only purpose of this report is to ensure that you are spending the funds that are given to you for him on him, and not on something else.

Customer:

Then why does the amount he received change each year?

Megan C :

You get cost of living adjustments ... everyone gets those

Megan C :

It doesn't matter about this report

Customer:

So I only list to the amount that SS pays and the rest of what we pay I leave off the form?

Megan C :

Yes, because it doesn't matter. They just want to account for what they sent you for him

Customer:

OK, thank you kindly for your GREAT help! I was way too stressed about doing something wrong. Take care.

Megan C :

You too. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Megan C :

You're welcome. The rating feature is located along the bottom of your screen.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security questions. It was a pleasure working with you today.