Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

if I exceed my earnings limit how does that affect my dependents

if I exceed my earnings limit how does that affect my dependents benefit?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

Your earnings do not impact your children's earnings. Your earnings only affect your personal benefit. These benefits are not yours, rather the childrens.

so if I exceed my "limit" and they reduce my benefit by a dollar for every 2 I exceed the limit, my children's benefit does not reduce?

Megan C :

That is correct, theirs is not touched.

Thanks, Mel for your positive rating. Please come back and see me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you will receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued customer.