Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

My 84 year old aunt took legal custody of her grandaughter

My 84 year old aunt took legal custody of her grandaughter 14 years ago when she was 70 and the grand daughter was 12 at that time. At the time, the 70 year old aunt was drawing social security from her dead husband and didn't realize it was also possible (at the time) to collect social security for a legal dependant under 18 going to school. The grandchild remained in legal custody of the grandmother, lived with her grandmother, and went to school full time until she turned 18 - for a total of about 6 years. Question - is it possible for the grandmother (my aunt) to go back and collect social security for the 6 years she had legal custody of her grandchild?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, there's no way to receive back pay benefits for granddaughter. You can only receive back benefits for 6 months. So, if the grandaughter turned 18 less than 6 months ago, a portion of the benefits could be claimed, but not the entire 6 years. I'm truly sorry.

thank you for the answer -

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Les for your positive rating. Please come back and see me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you will receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey would be greatly appreciated as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued customer.