Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

If a child receives social security death benefits gets married

If a child receives social security death benefits gets married gets married and is still going to college,will the benefit stop?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How old is the child drawing the benefit - are they drawing an adult disabled benefit?

MyVirtualCPA :

The reason I ask is that benefits stop at age 18, or up to age 19 if the student is still in high school

MyVirtualCPA :

Benefits won't continue into college.

MyVirtualCPA :

If the child has an adult disabled child benefit, then it would stop once they get married

Customer: The child is 17.The child is not drawing an adult disability benefit.The child will be in high school.
MyVirtualCPA :

And they will be getting married before the age of 18?

Customer: No
MyVirtualCPA :

Okay then the benefits stop at age 18....they don't continue on to college

Customer: The child will still be 19 while in high school
MyVirtualCPA :

Well, then she can get benefits until they graduate high school, but no later than age 19. So, once they turn 19 the benefits stop

MyVirtualCPA :

And if the child marries, the benefits stop as well

Customer: Why did you just put in that last piece of info after I was happy with answer benefit going to age 19
MyVirtualCPA :

You asked what happens if the child marries

Customer: But I asked that before an you can back with what age the child would be in high school.Nothing about marriage
MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry. Your question reads "If a child receives social security death benefits gets married gets married and is still going to college,will the benefit stop?" You mentioned marriage, so I thought you wanted to know

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry if I gave you information that you did not want

Customer: No,the child will still be in high school at age 19
MyVirtualCPA :

So then, the benefits go to the 19th birthday and then they stop

Customer: So,I now understand that the marriage will have nothing to do with it.Correct?
MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct

Customer: Thank You.I am happy with this answer.
MyVirtualCPA :

OKay, if you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you will receive a short survey. I would appreciate if you would fill the survey out, as the positive feedback on that survey will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks