Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi, I am 65 now and will be 66 in July 1914. I was told that

Hi, I am 65 now and will be 66 in July 1914. I was told that I could check with Soc. Sec. and the first of the year and could check and see if I could retire earlier before my 66 birthday and not loose any benefits. Is that correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, you will have a slight reduction in benefits if you retire early - but the reduction will be very slight. Less than 5%

MyVirtualCPA :

To receive your full benefit, you would have to retire at full retirement age or later

MyVirtualCPA :

If you wait later, your benefit increases

Thanks, Stephen for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.