Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My mothers supplemental social security has been reduced drastictly,

My mother's supplemental social security has been reduced drastictly, when we were told to write letters stating that we helped her financially by one of the Social Security personnel. We told her that it was not true, but she said the letters would help so her social security benefits would not be affected.?? Now we feel like we were set up. we were planing on going to speak to someone there tomorrow, any suggestions?

Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: If possible, you need to take your mother to your local Social Security Administration Office to discuss the matter. By writing letters to say that you help her, that means that she has other sources for assistance (income) and that would count against her and would result in reduction of her benefits. For more information on SSI, click here.